Struggleville Forum
Reader's Rides! - Printable Version

+- Struggleville Forum (https://struggleville.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Shop Talk (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: Enter The Shop (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Reader's Rides! (/thread-14.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Reader's Rides! - delpha80 - 05-26-2020

[attachment=11]1980 camaro kinda pro touring

RE: Reader's Rides! - PJ - 05-26-2020

(05-26-2020, 01:09 PM)delpha80 Wrote: 1980 camaro kinda pro touring

Looks sharp!  Are you in a closed Lowe's parking lot?  Shape of the building reminds me of Lowe's.  Either way looks like a good place for a few quick burnouts  Cool

RE: Reader's Rides! - Orion1876 - 05-28-2020

(05-26-2020, 02:27 PM)PJ Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 01:09 PM)delpha80 Wrote: 1980 camaro kinda pro touring

Looks sharp!  Are you in a closed Lowe's parking lot?  Shape of the building reminds me of Lowe's.  Either way looks like a good place for a few quick burnouts  Cool

It does kind of look like it was a Lowes at some point.  I am guess it was yet another small grocery store that was killed by the big grocery store chains.

Perfect place to hang out and show off some cool rides.

RE: Reader's Rides! - delpha80 - 05-28-2020

it was a grocery store, the story is that the larger chain giant eagle paid the building rent for a long time to keep competition out. Idk if that's true though

(05-28-2020, 01:42 PM)delpha80 Wrote: it was a grocery store, the story is that the larger chain giant eagle paid the building rent for a long time to keep competition out. Idk if that's true though

If it is true there must be some serious competition to pay rent on a second location like that.

There is an old Albertson's in College Station that was vacant for quite a while and there were all types of rumors about it before it eventually was bought by Walmart which was next door.  Walmart needed a bit more space when they were turning the store into a super Walmart.   As crazy as it sounds they knocked out a back corner of the grocery store building to accommodate the construction on the Walmart.

As of last time I was in town it is now a  trampoline place.

RE: Reader's Rides! - Yahoo - 05-28-2020

2012 WRX

[Image: wrx.jpg]

RE: Reader's Rides! - MiscellaneousDave - 05-28-2020

(05-28-2020, 01:55 PM)Orion1876 Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 01:42 PM)delpha80 Wrote: it was a grocery store, the story is that the larger chain giant eagle paid the building rent for a long time to keep competition out. Idk if that's true though

If it is true there must be some serious competition to pay rent on a second location like that.

There is an old Albertson's in College Station that was vacant for quite a while and there were all types of rumors about it before it eventually was bought by Walmart which was next door.  Walmart needed a bit more space when they were turning the store into a super Walmart.   As crazy as it sounds they knocked out a back corner of the grocery store building to accommodate the construction on the Walmart.

One would think they would sublet it out to another non-competing business (if the lease allowed it)

(05-28-2020, 06:20 PM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote:

One would think they would sublet it out to another non-competing business (if the lease allowed it)

That seems to be what Walmart did.  Bought the building and then leased it or sold it after it was repaired and construction was done.

Now that the buildings are done its crazy how close they are together in that back corner.  It looks very narrow space from the parking lot.

RE: Reader's Rides! - MiscellaneousDave - 05-28-2020

I do know of a bank that did something similar.  It was a super duper small town and this small bank came and bought out the local bank which had 2 or 3 other branches in neighboring cities.  They then built a brand new branch right across the street and tried to rent out the old branch for MANY years.  The problem?  This was a really nice brick building with a pretty sizable drive-thru, and they wouldn't rent it out to a bank.  So it sat there for MANY years.

(05-28-2020, 06:51 PM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote:

I do know of a bank that did something similar.  It was a super duper small town and this small bank came and bought out the local bank which had 2 or 3 other branches in neighboring cities.  They then built a brand new branch right across the street and tried to rent out the old branch for MANY years.  The problem?  This was a really nice brick building with a pretty sizable drive-thru, and they wouldn't rent it out to a bank.  So it sat there for MANY years.

That is disappointing.  You would think they would use the bank that was already there to keep costs low.  Must not have liked the old bank for some reason or needed more space.