Struggleville Forum
Dave Ramsey - What do you think? - Printable Version

+- Struggleville Forum (https://struggleville.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Everything Else (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Hiding From The Wife (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Dave Ramsey - What do you think? (/thread-71.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Dave Ramsey - What do you think? - Lifebeholder - 05-31-2020

I like his principals that most people don't see the bigger picture of basics and self-control for a short time will set someone up in life. It is simple you don't buy what you can't afford. You can pay most debts off in 3-5 years. You have to have emergency funds and somewhat of a plan and goals for what you want to use your money on. I think when you go through rough times you can come out stronger from it possibly more humble. You just have to understand with debt the interest is working against you, once you switch it around to be in your favor, you can have so much more of the things you want. With debt, you are overpaying for the items and it is costing you more than getting current and then just paying for things outright.
The business aspect has started to be a turn off for me with the programs and affiliate programs. It pretty much went downhill for me after Racheal (his daughter) started being on more shows. When David bailed her out for her wedding, it was the marking point for me. I will always root for an underdog and no matter how simple anyone has a chance, it is just who I am. So, Dave got me there, but when miss princess showed up with that sob story and the book Love Your Life Not Theirs. It didn't go well for me. I don't feel she has truly struggled in her life and I can see through that crap in a heartbeat. She was selling $20 wallets for the envelope system.
Keep to the basics and I am right there with you. You get to fancy and I will lose interest really quick. I am not looking to be drawing that kind of attention. I know what most people look like when they have money and there are a lot of people out there who don't have a clue. Read The Millionaire Next Door or The Millionaire's Mind. It is slow and steady and your character and what you bring to the table.

RE: Dave Ramsey - What do you think? - PJ - 05-31-2020

(05-31-2020, 03:53 PM)Lifebeholder Wrote: Keep to the basics and I am right there with you. You get to fancy and I will lose interest really quick. I am not looking to be drawing that kind of attention. I know what most people look like when they have money and there are a lot of people out there who don't have a clue. Read The Millionaire Next Door or The Millionaire's Mind. It is slow and steady and your character and what you bring to the table.

Uh oh....

[Image: s4a5SlE.jpg]

Well, it was your choice and on the other hand you had everything paid off and paid cash. Hindsight love the truck, but that money be real nice right now to have to be investing in the world clearance stock sale going on and maybe blood in the streets in the near future... while in money speaking not the other kind, but I guess that could also bring stock market to rock bottom prices.

(05-28-2020, 11:19 PM)Orion1876 Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 10:20 PM)29Feb Wrote: I learned more from The Millionaire Next Door book published in 1996 than from Dave Ramsey.

Dave promotes only what he knows works - money in envelopes, debit cards, etc.  As soon as you vary from that, it might not work for someone in his big radio audience.

Would the economic impact of this pandemic be the same if everyone had 3 to 6 months of expenses like Dave recommends?

I am sure it would be quite different if everyone was that much prepared.  Sadly many never seem to want to plan ahead and always live pay check to pay check with little to no savings.
It might just be me, but I know Dave has mentioned Thomas J. Stanley, but since his death I swear that Chris Hogan, the Dave Ramsey personality, is starting to take over his concept. It irritates me some that he didn't realize you had a financial number early on. Even if you know you will do Roth, 401k, SEP, retirement plans, GAP fund for years before retirement or any other investing. You know about your age you can retire and you know you can put extra away to have it for up coming years so yes you could get ahead before that retirement age.

RE: Dave Ramsey - What do you think? - Orion1876 - 06-01-2020

(05-31-2020, 11:26 PM)Lifebeholder Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 10:20 PM)29Feb Wrote: I learned more from The Millionaire Next Door book published in 1996 than from Dave Ramsey.

Dave promotes only what he knows works - money in envelopes, debit cards, etc.  As soon as you vary from that, it might not work for someone in his big radio audience.

Would the economic impact of this pandemic be the same if everyone had 3 to 6 months of expenses like Dave recommends?

I am sure it would be quite different if everyone was that much prepared.  Sadly many never seem to want to plan ahead and always live pay check to pay check with little to no savings.
It might just be me, but I know Dave has mentioned Thomas J. Stanley, but since his death I swear that Chris Hogan, the Dave Ramsey personality, is starting to take over his concept. It irritates me some that he didn't realize you had a financial number early on. Even if you know you will do Roth, 401k, SEP, retirement plans, GAP fund for years before retirement or any other investing. You know about your age you can retire and you know you can put extra away to have it for up coming years so yes you could get ahead before that retirement age.

When it comes to finances a lot of what these guys say seems very similar to me.   I listened to Suzy Orman for a time as well.  She does tings in some of the same ways Dave Ramsey does but puts her own spin on the ideas as well.

RE: Dave Ramsey - What do you think? - MiscellaneousDave - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 05:37 PM)Orion1876 Wrote:

When it comes to finances a lot of what these guys say seems very similar to me.   I listened to Suzy Orman for a time as well.  She does tings in some of the same ways Dave Ramsey does but puts her own spin on the ideas as well.
I follow my own rules.  Which may be why I am broke.

RE: Dave Ramsey - What do you think? - Lifebeholder - 06-01-2020

I honestly have a few of her books that I have never touched yet. I seen a few things on youtube with her and I just can't get into her. She seems to much like a scam to me. I don't remember the exact thing about her now since it has been so long ago.

(06-01-2020, 08:04 PM)Lifebeholder Wrote:

I honestly have a few of her books that I have never touched yet. I seen a few things on youtube with her and I just can't get into her. She seems to much like a scam to me. I don't remember the exact thing about her now since it has been so long ago.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I have dealt with things like that before.  Most notably, motivational speakers.

RE: Dave Ramsey - What do you think? - Lifebeholder - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 07:40 PM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote:

Well, you never know you could have already started on a new track. You are getting deals. You just have to keep saving the money up in between deals and paying out right. I am sure since you are reading advice from the forums and getting to be around knowledgeable people you might be getting more tidbits then you realizes. You are definitely already better off than other people. I know people that can't spot a deal to save their life and they are just going to have to work harder to get the same products we are getting deals on and pay to much for it.

(06-01-2020, 08:12 PM)Lifebeholder Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 07:40 PM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 11:19 PM)Orion1876 Wrote: I am sure it would be quite different if everyone was that much prepared.  Sadly many never seem to want to plan ahead and always live pay check to pay check with little to no savings.

Well, you never know you could have already started on a new track. You are getting deals. You just have to keep saving the money up in between deals and paying out right. I am sure since you are reading advice from the forums and getting to be around knowledgeable people you might be getting more tidbits then you realizes. You are definitely already better off than other people. I know people that can't spot a deal to save their life and they are just going to have to work harder to get the same products we are getting deals on and pay to much for it.
I suppose there is some truth to that.  Smile  Nice of you to say....

I actually try not to use my cards and for the most part I don't.  I do use them for work and such, but I pay that off right away.  As far as spotting a deal, I feel like my entire life that I bought high and sold low..  lol