Struggleville Forum
SpaceX launch - Printable Version

+- Struggleville Forum (https://struggleville.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Everything Else (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Hiding From The Wife (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: SpaceX launch (/thread-133.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

SpaceX launch - Yukon - 05-30-2020

SpaceX and NASA successfully launched Saturday. 

Did anyone else happen to watch this?  I think it’s pretty damn cool they launched two guys into space and then landed the primary booster so it can be used again. 

Maybe not as dramatic as the first moon landing, but it’s historic, in my opinion.

RE: SpaceX launch - PJ - 05-31-2020

I didn't see it live but watched video of it. With so much going on I am not even sure what are they doing? I mean I know going to space but what is the purpose?

RE: SpaceX launch - Yukon - 05-31-2020

The goals are to develop a cheaper way to get stuff and people up to orbit level. Getting the payloads out of Earths gravity is the most expensive part.
They can then use whatever stations and/or equipment up there to more easily stage a trip to the moon again, and then Mars.

Edit: There may be other hidden agendas we’re not deemed worthy to know about.

RE: SpaceX launch - Orion1876 - 05-31-2020

(05-31-2020, 09:23 AM)Yukon Wrote: The goals are to develop a cheaper way to get stuff and people up to orbit level. Getting the payloads out of Earths gravity is the most expensive part.
They can then use whatever stations and/or equipment up there to more easily stage a trip to the moon again, and then Mars.

Edit: There may be other hidden agendas we’re not deemed worthy to know about.

The launch was awesome to see.  Apparently there are a few private parties that are building reusable capsules for NASA.  The SPACEX capsule was impressive.  Boeing is working on one as well.

It will be great to not have to pay the Russians for a ride on one of their capsules to the space station.  Hopefully we will be headed back to the moon and eventually Mars.

RE: SpaceX launch - PJ - 05-31-2020

I don't imagine I'll live to see it but it would be so awesome to have a settlement on the moon (or Mars but even less likely). Preferably a US one.

RE: SpaceX launch - Orion1876 - 06-01-2020

(05-31-2020, 02:28 PM)PJ Wrote: I don't imagine I'll live to see it but it would be so awesome to have a settlement on the moon (or Mars but even less likely).  Preferably a US one.

That would be awesome.  A thought straight out of science fiction that could easily happen one day, now that we have a push to head to space again.

RE: SpaceX launch - MiscellaneousDave - 06-01-2020

I literally was just talking about this 1 hour ago with a lady I work with. She said that her grandson (who is 11) said that he loves space and definitely wants to go to Mars before we "blow up the Earth".

Smart kid.

RE: SpaceX launch - Orion1876 - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 02:16 PM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote: I literally was just talking about this 1 hour ago with a lady I work with.  She said that her grandson (who is 11) said that he loves space and definitely wants to go to Mars before we "blow up the Earth".

Smart kid.

Very smart.  It will be interesting to see how much of the human race might be leaving on a different planet at some point.

RE: SpaceX launch - MiscellaneousDave - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 02:17 PM)Orion1876 Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 02:16 PM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote: I literally was just talking about this 1 hour ago with a lady I work with.  She said that her grandson (who is 11) said that he loves space and definitely wants to go to Mars before we "blow up the Earth".

Smart kid.

Very smart.  It will be interesting to see how much of the human race might be leaving on a different planet at some point.

I heard something on the radio this morning that made me laugh (sadly).

They were talking about the SpaceX mission and said that this is the first time anyone has been launched into space from the US since 2011.  They then responded:

"Good timing".  

LOL Smile

RE: SpaceX launch - PJ - 06-01-2020

Even if it isn't full blown civilization on another big floating rock I would love to even see a human on Mars. I think that is reasonably possible before I die.