Struggleville Forum
What are your thoughts on the Stock Market or maybe just investing in general?? - Printable Version

+- Struggleville Forum (https://struggleville.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Everything Else (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Hiding From The Wife (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: What are your thoughts on the Stock Market or maybe just investing in general?? (/thread-162.html)

What are your thoughts on the Stock Market or maybe just investing in general?? - Lifebeholder - 06-04-2020

I really wish I had more time to be watching it more lately. I need to be talking to my financial advisor soon and just thought I would throw the question out in the universe and see what happens.
I had a game plan at the beginning of the year and had some other options present as the year continued on. Due to one option it did delay one big chunk of my investing during the last low this year. I am always consistent with investing yearly contributes, but sometimes I have other jobs that allow me to invest more and this is something that isn't consistent for me.
Also, some years save up enough to do some big lump sum contributes every few years, although I had original game plan for that and hope to meet it maybe in the next 3-5 years if income remains good. I am torn if I do meet this goal if I should proceed and use this as a GAP funding (money before retirement to live off of), but I don't plan to quit all means of income just maybe decrease the full-time hours.
I would like to continue to invest, but I am trying to find happy medium between having enough for when I need it and just being ahead of it for low income years, but able to take advantage of huge gains when the chance might arise or even tough situations if they would happen.
I know you can't time the market, but the current situation I still want to hold out. I also have this feeling that I want to to sell off some stocks or have more cash and we will see what the advisor says about that.
I might be getting my emotions involved and that could be dangerous, but something just doesn't feel right. I don't understand why this market is stilling going up like this. Economy was good prior yes, but it just seems wrong and like something is just off. I almost feel like there is greed involved and that makes me want to sell now. My mind is screaming: "SELL HIGH, BUY LOW!!!" "Take the money and run and you can wait it out for a low." Waiting for deals has trained my brain, for some reason you don't want this right now and you don't want those prices.
Sayings keep coming to me while this stuff has been happening. "The calming before the storm", "It is going to get worse before it gets better", "The other shoe has not dropped". "It is wise to be Fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.” -Warren Buffett. "Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own."-Baron Rothschild- I am just not really hurting and most people around here don't seem to be. They are all staying home, getting things done and going about their merry little ways.
It concerns me that people are not fearful during this time. I take advantage of the opportunities when times get tough that is what I am preparing for. I save for when things go low and there is a deal, that is what saves me money. My thoughts are we are treading water and market is going to go lower and the full affect has not happened yet. I want the market to be good in the long run, but things tend to go in cycles. You have to have the good and the bad or either one wouldn't mean anything to you. You have to have good to strive for things and have bad to keep from not wanting to be there or go back to that. “If There Is No Struggle, There Is No Progress” Frederick Douglass.
I guess time will tell. I think I heard that unemployment checks run out about July. I was thinking around fall there could be a drop, but in past history it could take 1-1.5 years sometimes for the market to drop. Somethings like food process might have a delay before you realize the full effect it has caused.

RE: What are your thoughts on the Stock Market or maybe just investing in general?? - Orion1876 - 06-04-2020

(06-04-2020, 06:37 AM)Lifebeholder Wrote: I really wish I had more time to be watching it more lately. I need to be talking to my financial advisor soon and just thought I would throw the question out in the universe and see what happens.
I had a game plan at the beginning of the year and had some other options present as the year continued on. Due to one option it did delay one big chunk of my investing during the last low this year. I am always consistent with investing yearly contributes, but sometimes I have other jobs that allow me to invest more and this is something that isn't consistent for me.
Also, some years save up enough to do some big lump sum contributes every few years, although I had original game plan for that and hope to meet it maybe in the next 3-5 years if income remains good. I am torn if I do meet this goal if I should proceed and use this as a GAP funding (money before retirement to live off of), but I don't plan to quit all means of income just maybe decrease the full-time hours.
I would like to continue to invest, but I am trying to find happy medium between having enough for when I need it and just being ahead of it for low income years, but able to take advantage of huge gains when the chance might arise or even tough situations if they would happen.
I know you can't time the market, but the current situation I still want to hold out. I also have this feeling that I want to to sell off some stocks or have more cash and we will see what the advisor says about that.
I might be getting my emotions involved and that could be dangerous, but something just doesn't feel right. I don't understand why this market is stilling going up like this. Economy was good prior yes, but it just seems wrong and like something is just off. I almost feel like there is greed involved and that makes me want to sell now. My mind is screaming: "SELL HIGH, BUY LOW!!!" "Take the money and run and you can wait it out for a low." Waiting for deals has trained my brain, for some reason you don't want this right now and you don't want those prices.
Sayings keep coming to me while this stuff has been happening. "The calming before the storm", "It is going to get worse before it gets better", "The other shoe has not dropped".  "It is wise to be Fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.” -Warren Buffett. "Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own."-Baron Rothschild- I am just not really hurting and most people around here don't seem to be. They are all staying home, getting things done and going about their merry little ways.
It concerns me that people are not fearful during this time. I take advantage of the opportunities when times get tough that is what I am preparing for. I save for when things go low and there is a deal, that is what saves me money. My thoughts are we are treading water and market is going to go lower and the full affect has not happened yet. I want the market to be good in the long run, but things tend to go in cycles. You have to have the good and the bad or either one wouldn't mean anything to you. You have to have good to strive for things and have bad to keep from not wanting to be there or go back to that. “If There Is No Struggle, There Is No Progress” Frederick Douglass.
I guess time will tell. I think I heard that unemployment checks run out about July. I was thinking around fall there could be a drop, but in past history it could take 1-1.5 years sometimes for the market to drop. Somethings like food process might have a delay before you realize the full effect it has caused.

It is always hard to know when we might hit the bottom when it comes to stock prices.   What I have been typically doing is over time slowly adding a little money to my Schwab account to build up investment capitol.  I of course do this at the same time as putting money away into other savings accounts and a 401K.  Seems the best way to do it is to do your research and have a list of stocks that are long term winners and slowly add to the positions over time as the price is down in a range that makes sense.  Doing it this way means having to be very disciplined when deciding when to buy.   I typically watch the PE ratio and dividend percentage to reach a given level for a stock before I add to a position.  Obviously all stocks are different, so its hard to set an exact level of PE and dividend to make the purchase.  At least that is how I have been doing it as a long term dividend investor.  I have a couple speculation stocks, but not many and the rest are big names like Apple, JP Morgan Chase, and Disney.  By being dividend stocks it is possible to turn on dividend reinvestment and have the positions will slowly increase from the dividend payments as well as from when you buy more shares.

Recent events have made it possible to add several positions of very good companies at pretty good prices and will continue to do so when it makes the most sense.

RE: What are your thoughts on the Stock Market or maybe just investing in general?? - PJ - 06-05-2020

I can't believe how fast it has recovered. We still get plenty of bad news that I would expect to cause dips but the market just goes up and up. 30 million unemployed? Market goes up. Cities being burned to the ground? Market goes up.

I obviously don't know how this works lol. I put a few thousand into index funds when the dow was at 18k but I was expecting it to go down further (15k was my dump it all in number). Now I am wishing I would of been more aggressive.

Just within the last few years was when I started my index funds and I bought in around 27-29k so overall I am still down...which sucks.

I like the index funds because I don't have the time to actually research specific companies or funds. The index funds seem like an easier and maybe safer way to go.

I do want to look into REETs though.

RE: What are your thoughts on the Stock Market or maybe just investing in general?? - Orion1876 - 06-05-2020

(06-05-2020, 03:45 PM)PJ Wrote: I can't believe how fast it has recovered.  We still get plenty of bad news that I would expect to cause dips but the market just goes up and up.  30 million unemployed? Market goes up. Cities being burned to the ground? Market goes up.

I obviously don't know how this works lol.  I put a few thousand into index funds when the dow was at 18k but I was expecting it to go down further (15k was my dump it all in number).  Now I am wishing I would of been more aggressive.

Just within the last few years was when I started my index funds and I bought in around 27-29k so overall I am still down...which sucks.

I like the index funds because I don't have the time to actually research specific companies or funds.  The index funds seem like an easier and maybe safer way to go.

I have to recommend investing in a REIT.  They can be a very good source for relatively large dividend payments.  Just like with all other stocks and mutual funds there are very good REITs some some that are very risky.  Obviously these days retail REITs are not doing very well with so many stores closed and unable to pay their rent.

One group of REITs to consider right now might be medical based REITs for doctors offices, hospitals, etc.  I have a Hospital REIT that has been very good for me the last two years since I bought it.

RE: What are your thoughts on the Stock Market or maybe just investing in general?? - PJ - 06-05-2020

(06-05-2020, 05:15 PM)Orion1876 Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 03:45 PM)PJ Wrote: I can't believe how fast it has recovered.  We still get plenty of bad news that I would expect to cause dips but the market just goes up and up.  30 million unemployed? Market goes up. Cities being burned to the ground? Market goes up.

I obviously don't know how this works lol.  I put a few thousand into index funds when the dow was at 18k but I was expecting it to go down further (15k was my dump it all in number).  Now I am wishing I would of been more aggressive.

I like the index funds because I don't have the time to actually research specific companies or funds.  The index funds seem like an easier and maybe safer way to go.

I have to recommend investing in a REIT.  They can be a very good source for relatively large dividend payments.  Just like with all other stocks and mutual funds there are very good REITs some some that are very risky.  Obviously these days retail REITs are not doing very well with so many stores closed and unable to pay their rent.

One group of REITs to consider right now might be medical based REITs for doctors offices, hospitals, etc.  I have a Hospital REIT that has been very good for me the last two years since I bought it.

I don't know, Creepy Joe could win and nationalize healthcare.  Can't imagine that would be good for reits (only half joking)

Could you imagine being invested in any kind of hospitality, cruise or retail reits the last few months.  Keep sharp objects away from those people.

RE: What are your thoughts on the Stock Market or maybe just investing in general?? - Orion1876 - 06-06-2020

(06-05-2020, 08:11 PM)PJ Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 05:15 PM)Orion1876 Wrote:

I don't know, Creepy Joe could win and nationalize healthcare.  Can't imagine that would be good for reits (only half joking)

Could you imagine being invested in any kind of hospitality, cruise or retail reits the last few months.  Keep sharp objects away from those people.

Not to mention the airline stocks.   People that had long term investments in airlines were probably pretty nervous.  Now all the trader are jumping on the airlines and riding them up a bit to make a quick buck as the stocks start to come back up.

Just never know what stocks will recover and what stocks will go bust.   There was some thought that at least one airline would go bankrupt and I guess it still could depending on how quickly they are able to open up flights and how full the flights are.