Struggleville Forum
Harbor Freight Recalls Over 1 Million Jack Stands - Printable Version

+- Struggleville Forum (https://struggleville.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Shop Talk (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: Enter The Shop (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Harbor Freight Recalls Over 1 Million Jack Stands (/thread-21.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Harbor Freight Recalls Over 1 Million Jack Stands - PJ - 05-22-2020

Recently Harbor Freight recalled over 1 million jack stands.  These are the 3 ton and 6 ton stands.  Not all of them but specific item numbers.  I have a post on the main portion of the site with the report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration if you want to check out all the details.

Harbor Freight has had several recalls over the last few years like the tires on the trailers, the switch on the chainsaw, the 12v led light, the folding knives, the torch... you know when you type it out that is kind of a lot of recalls for one store to have in a short period of time.  But the point is with all these other recalls they may of been a safety hazard but all of it was either avoidable or you could at least take steps to mitigate the danger.  In the instance of the chainsaw it was the Portland Electric chainsaw and it was a problem with it staying on when letting go of the switch (I think I am remembering that correctly.)  Its an electric chainsaw... sure that is dangerous but you can unplug, you can take an action to protect yourself.  On the other hand a jack stand... is the device that is supposed to keep you safe while working on a car.  The fact that these things can drop the vehicle without notice is horrifying.  Part of the report mentions reports from customers, which makes sense, I want to hear the stories of what happened with these things.  Did anyone die? Did someone get crushed under a car?  These is one recall to take very serious.

I just saw this recall yesterday and have been incredibly busy trying to get this forum up (at the time I am typing this the forum isn't open to the public so it very much feels like and basically is me talking to myself.) so I haven't looked at my jack stands but I know I have some from Harbor Freight.  The "remedy" is they will give you a gift card for the price of the stands.

This is the problem with some of the cheap Harbor Freight tools.  Its not big deal if you buy a screwdriver and it ends up sucking.  You are out a couple of bucks and you learned a lesson.  But a damn car dropping on you is game over kind of stuff.  Regardless of whether my jack stands are part of the recall or not I might start shopping for the highest rated jack stands I can find.  Just in case.

[Image: Jack-Stand-Recall-56371_61196_61197.jpg]

RE: Harbor Freight Recalls Over 1 Million Jack Stands - PJ - 05-22-2020

Thom sent over this video on the post on the main site.  I need to go shake my jack stands!

RE: Harbor Freight Recalls Over 1 Million Jack Stands - Yukon - 05-25-2020

This recall has really made me rethink my reliance on that style of jack stand from any brand. I have an ancient set of craftsman stands with pins. I’m going to buy some new, heavy duty pin versions for use from here on out.

And I know that may be over-reactive, but it’s just where my head is at right now.

RE: Harbor Freight Recalls Over 1 Million Jack Stands - Orion1876 - 05-25-2020

This recall really makes me wonder if we can rely on the quality of any of the jack stands from Harbor Freight.

I have a set of 3 ton jack stands from Harbor freight that were not included in the recall, but after this I am not sure I would want to trust them.

RE: Harbor Freight Recalls Over 1 Million Jack Stands - PJ - 05-25-2020

(05-25-2020, 01:57 PM)Yukon Wrote: This recall has really made me rethink my reliance on that style of jack stand from any brand. I have an ancient set of craftsman stands with pins. I’m going to buy some new, heavy duty pin versions for use from here on out.

And I know that may be over-reactive, but it’s just where my head is at right now.

I had a set like that too, probably got them from an auction or something but I sold them in a garage sale last year. The metal looked so thin I didn't trust them and no stickers or stampings indicated the rating. The style definitely seems safer though.

(05-25-2020, 02:45 PM)Orion1876 Wrote: This recall really makes me wonder if we can rely on the quality of any of the jack stands from Harbor Freight.

I have a set of 3 ton jack stands from Harbor freight that were not included in the recall, but after this I am not sure I would want to trust them.

Thats true, the way they are failing doesn't matter on the capacity whether its a 3 ton stand or a 50 ton stand... if the pawl (sp?) isn't locking into the teeth...boom.

If space allows I usually lower the jack enough for the weight of the vehicle to be on the stand then leave the jack in place, could help couldn't hurt I guess.

RE: Harbor Freight Recalls Over 1 Million Jack Stands - JFeeney - 05-26-2020

A friend of mine's father was crushed by a truck that slipped off one of those types of jacks. Not three specific ones from HF but I’ve never been too fond of being near anything up on those types of jacks.

RE: Harbor Freight Recalls Over 1 Million Jack Stands - Yukon - 05-27-2020

(05-26-2020, 02:51 AM)JFeeney Wrote: A friend of mine's father was crushed by a truck that slipped off one of those types of jacks. Not three specific ones from HF but I’ve never been too fond of being near anything up on those types of jacks.

That is awful. I think about my head squishin like a watermelon every time I’m nose to nose with a differential or frame piece.

RE: Harbor Freight Recalls Over 1 Million Jack Stands - MiscellaneousDave - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 01:31 AM)Yukon Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 02:51 AM)JFeeney Wrote: A friend of mine's father was crushed by a truck that slipped off one of those types of jacks. Not three specific ones from HF but I’ve never been too fond of being near anything up on those types of jacks.

That is awful. I think about my head squishin like a watermelon every time I’m nose to nose with a differential or frame piece.

Wow, thanks a lot.  That's all I will think about now when I am under there.

RE: Harbor Freight Recalls Over 1 Million Jack Stands - Orion1876 - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 09:09 AM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote:

Yikes,  I definitely didn't need that mental image.  Guess I won't be going near a jack or jack stand for a while if I can help it.

RE: Harbor Freight Recalls Over 1 Million Jack Stands - MiscellaneousDave - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 07:40 PM)Orion1876 Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 09:09 AM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote:

Yikes,  I definitely didn't need that mental image.  Guess I won't be going near a jack or jack stand for a while if I can help it.

If all goes well I have 2 weeks before I do....  Then routine tire rotation/oil change.