Struggleville Forum
Team RED Or Team YELLOW? - Printable Version

+- Struggleville Forum (https://struggleville.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Shop Talk (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: Enter The Shop (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Team RED Or Team YELLOW? (/thread-35.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Team RED Or Team YELLOW? - PJ - 05-24-2020

I think its pretty obvious that if you were judging sales of cordless tools in the US the top 2 brands would be DeWALT and Milwaukee.  Both have huge tool platforms, are widely available and run promotions constantly.

People love to choose a side and defend it.  So my question to you is are you Team RED or Team YELLOW? Why?  Is it based on quality? Are you in the tool platform by default? (You already have batteries or other tools so just stick with it.) Is it value?  Selection of tools available? Did a specific promotion get you to take the plunge?

If you don't currently own any red or yellow tools which would you choose if you had to pick?

RE: Team RED Or Team YELLOW? - Yukon - 05-25-2020

Team RED.

I buy all the tools for my shop. I used to get Dewalt everything. I don’t know if their quality has just gone downhill or what, but I can’t say I’m a fan anymore. Ive seen multiple failures of batteries and chucks, not to mention smoke outs of motors.

I have Milwaukee stuff for myself at home And have been pleasantly surprised, so far. In fairness, my home stuff doesn’t get the multiple user abuse of the tools at work.

RE: Team RED Or Team YELLOW? - Orion1876 - 05-25-2020

Team Red & Yellow

I have several Milwaukee and Dewalt tools.  I typically go with what seems to be the best tool for a specific job regardless of what brand it is and what kind of deals I have been able to find.  Brand loyalty only goes so far when the other brand tool can be purchased for much less and will complete the job just as well.

RE: Team RED Or Team YELLOW? - hot_wheels - 05-25-2020

Team red. Just sold all my green which did great but not as versitile as red.

RE: Team RED Or Team YELLOW? - MiscellaneousDave - 05-25-2020

Sorry I am a team ORANGE guy (RIDGID). I got into their platform about 1-2 years ago and have since been replacing everything I had with their stuff.

Previously I had a hodgepodge of a bunch of stuff, but never yellow or red. I suppose if I had to pick one though I would go red.

RE: Team RED Or Team YELLOW? - Andrew - 05-25-2020

I was team yellow for years working concrete forming, but at some point the whole team switched to Milwaukee. I just find they have more power. I beat the crap out of them and they keep kicking

RE: Team RED Or Team YELLOW? - JFeeney - 05-26-2020

Team Yellow - I received a 12v Combo set with Drill and Driver as a gift many years ago. They replaced an ancient Craftsman 14v drill. They were solid for light duty work but I really needed something beefier so I upgraded to their 20v line. I've delved deep with Drill, Impact Driver, Router, Reciprocating Saw, Oscillating Tool, and Angle Grinder - between finding deals and gifts it seems like I've been getting a tool or two a year. I also have corded Jig Saw and Reciprocating Saw too.

Because of the Bosch's BreakUp2TradeUp giveaway and a deal I found here I now have their 18v Jig Saw and Circular Saw.

That being said - I've used Milwaukee and liked them. But with some much invested in DeWalt it doesn't make sense to switch.

RE: Team RED Or Team YELLOW? - delpha80 - 05-26-2020

Would like to get into either, currently in hyper tough because a 40 dollar 4 tool kit was to cheap. They work pretty good but the batteries are small. My dad is red and I love using them when in NY. They have great power and battery life. When I upgrade it will be to yellow probably because they seem to have more deals.

RE: Team RED Or Team YELLOW? - PJ - 05-26-2020

(05-26-2020, 09:44 AM)JFeeney Wrote: Team Yellow - I received a 12v Combo set with Drill and Driver as a gift many years ago. They replaced an ancient Craftsman 14v drill. They were solid for light duty work but I really needed something beefier so I upgraded to their 20v line. I've delved deep with Drill, Impact Driver, Router, Reciprocating Saw, Oscillating Tool, and Angle Grinder - between finding deals and gifts it seems like I've been getting a tool or two a year. I also have corded Jig Saw and Reciprocating Saw too.

Because of the Bosch's BreakUp2TradeUp giveaway and a deal I found here I now have their 18v Jig Saw and Circular Saw.

That being said - I've used Milwaukee and liked them. But with some much invested in DeWalt it doesn't make sense to switch.

Especially with the price of batteries and the fact that they won't last forever its tough to be invested in more than one brand. Just gets really expensive quickly. Thats what I like about the battery adapters. They may not be practical in all circumstances but I bought the DeWALT battery to Milwaukee tool one and the DeWALT battery to Makita tool one and it was a cheap way for me to take advantage of deals in other platforms. Especially when I can then sell off the batteries that came with the combos of the other brands.

(05-26-2020, 12:56 PM)delpha80 Wrote: Would like to get into either, currently in hyper tough because a 40 dollar 4 tool kit was to cheap. They work pretty good but the batteries are small. My dad is red and I love using them when in NY. They have great power and battery life. When I upgrade it will be to yellow probably because they seem to have more deals.

Usually DeWALT has the best promotions, thats how I originally got into the 20v line up. Its been really weird this year though because Milwaukee has had tons of promos going and DeWALT has been near silent. I'm not sure if it virus related or for some other reason. I'm hoping DeWALT ramps the deals back up soon. They did just start the free 3ah starter kit thats available at HD and looks like Lowes will have it... which means a bunch of other retailers will probably do the promo too at some point.

RE: Team RED Or Team YELLOW? - Orion1876 - 05-26-2020

(05-26-2020, 02:24 PM)PJ Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 09:44 AM)JFeeney Wrote: Team Yellow - I received a 12v Combo set with Drill and Driver as a gift many years ago. They replaced an ancient Craftsman 14v drill. They were solid for light duty work but I really needed something beefier so I upgraded to their 20v line. I've delved deep with Drill, Impact Driver, Router, Reciprocating  Saw, Oscillating Tool, and Angle Grinder - between finding deals and gifts it seems like I've been getting a tool or two a year.  I also have corded Jig Saw and Reciprocating Saw too.

Especially with the price of batteries and the fact that they won't last forever its tough to be invested in more than one brand.  Just gets really expensive quickly.  Thats what I like about the battery adapters.  They may not be practical in all circumstances but I bought the DeWALT battery to Milwaukee tool one and the DeWALT battery to Makita tool one and it was a cheap way for me to take advantage of deals in other platforms.  Especially when I can then sell off the batteries that came with the combos of the other brands.

(05-26-2020, 12:56 PM)delpha80 Wrote: Would like to get into either, currently in hyper tough because a 40 dollar 4 tool kit was to cheap. They work pretty good but the batteries are small.  My dad is red and I love using them when in NY. They have great power and battery life. When I upgrade it will be to yellow probably because they seem to have more deals.

Usually DeWALT has the best promotions, thats how I originally got into the 20v line up.  Its been really weird this year though because Milwaukee has had tons of promos going and DeWALT has been near silent.  I'm not sure if it virus related or for some other reason.  I'm hoping DeWALT ramps the deals back up soon.  They did just start the free 3ah starter kit thats available at HD and looks like Lowes will have it... which means a bunch of other retailers will probably do the promo too at some point.

Please keep us posted on what your experience is with using the battery adapters.  I am interested in how well they work and if they could cause any damage to tools or batteries.

I have seen a few reviews stating the use of a battery adapter caused a tool or battery to stop working so I am holding off getting any battery adapters for the time being.