Struggleville Forum
NASCAR Fans, Who Do You Root For? - Printable Version

+- Struggleville Forum (https://struggleville.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Everything Else (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Hiding From The Wife (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: NASCAR Fans, Who Do You Root For? (/thread-42.html)

NASCAR Fans, Who Do You Root For? - PJ - 05-24-2020

I have never been able to get into NASCAR.  It is something that on the surface should be right up my alley and I have tried watching a race here and there but rarely make it through an entire one.  Races are on the weekend during the summer when I rather be outside doing something, they are several hours long and I tend to just flat out forget to turn it on if I am in the house.

All that being said the biggest reason I a not a NASCAR fan is because I don't get how people choose who or what they are rooting for.  Is it the driver?  Is it the sponsor of the car?  Are you rooting for a certain make of cars to do well?  Is it a combination? What if my favorite driver started driving for a company that I despise... what then?

Also it seems like the same maybe 10 or 15 people win all the races....OK maybe its not that bad but if your guy is starting 40th... he ain't winning.

Who do you root for?  How did you become a fan of this driver....or sponsor or make of car... whatever you root for how did it come to be?

RE: NASCAR Fans, Who Do You Root For? - Orion1876 - 05-26-2020

(05-24-2020, 10:46 PM)PJ Wrote: I have never been able to get into NASCAR.  It is something that on the surface should be right up my alley and I have tried watching a race here and there but rarely make it through an entire one.  Races are on the weekend during the summer when I rather be outside doing something, they are several hours long and I tend to just flat out forget to turn it on if I am in the house.

All that being said the biggest reason I a not a NASCAR fan is because I don't get how people choose who or what they are rooting for.  Is it the driver?  Is it the sponsor of the car?  Are you rooting for a certain make of cars to do well?  Is it a combination? What if my favorite driver started driving for a company that I despise... what then?

Also it seems like the same maybe 10 or 15 people win all the races....OK maybe its not that bad but if your guy is starting 40th... he ain't winning.

Who do you root for?  How did you become a fan of this driver....or sponsor or make of car... whatever you root for how did it come to be?

I am new to NASCAR as well.  Now that it is one of the few live sports we have these days I have watched a couple races this past week.  I find watching a race is somewhat entertaining, especially when there is some kind of drama on the track.

RE: NASCAR Fans, Who Do You Root For? - PJ - 05-26-2020

(05-26-2020, 01:23 PM)Orion1876 Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 10:46 PM)PJ Wrote: I have never been able to get into NASCAR.  It is something that on the surface should be right up my alley and I have tried watching a race here and there but rarely make it through an entire one.  Races are on the weekend during the summer when I rather be outside doing something, they are several hours long and I tend to just flat out forget to turn it on if I am in the house.

I am new to NASCAR as well.  Now that it is one of the few live sports we have these days I have watched a couple races this past week.  I find watching a race is somewhat entertaining, especially when there is some kind of drama on the track.

10yrs or so ago their was a reality show on History or TLC or one of those that followed a family of dirt track racers.  I think they were in South Carolina or something but it only lasted a year or 2.  It was really entertaining though.  If NASCAR was more like that I'd probably be watching every week.

RE: NASCAR Fans, Who Do You Root For? - Orion1876 - 05-26-2020

(05-26-2020, 02:30 PM)PJ Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 01:23 PM)Orion1876 Wrote:

10yrs or so ago their was a reality show on History or TLC or one of those that followed a family of dirt track racers.  I think they were in South Carolina or something but it only lasted a year or 2.  It was really entertaining though.  If NASCAR was more like that I'd probably be watching every week.

Speaking of a dirt track.  When I was in high school we lived just down the street from a dirt track.  They called it Devil's Bowl I think.   We could always hear the races going on Friday and Saturday night from our back yard.

I went to see a few races while I lived there.   Watching an Outlaw race is pretty entertaining watching them draft through the corners on the lose dirt.  On the rare occasion there is a wreck it is pretty epic due to the speeds they are going while sliding around on the dirt.