Struggleville Forum
Have you tried solder seal? - Printable Version

+- Struggleville Forum (https://struggleville.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Shop Talk (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: Enter The Shop (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Have you tried solder seal? (/thread-51.html)

Have you tried solder seal? - PJ - 05-25-2020

I guess its probably been close to a year now that I have been using solder seal wire connectors.  I mostly see them on Amazon from a bunch of different brands. (Check to see if a promo code is available for any https://struggleville.net/?s=solder+seal)  They are a little pricey compared to a crimp style butt connector, which is what I would be using if not for the solder seal.  But I have been using the solder seal exclusively since finding out about it and I really like.  Its easy and I trust the connection better.  It does take more time than crimping but I really like these things.

Have you tried them? What do you think?

RE: Have you tried solder seal? - Orion1876 - 05-25-2020

I have not tried it yet. I plan to due so the next time I have a need to splice some wires, but have not had a need to use them quite yet.

They do seem to be a great idea. I used the older crimp connectors to put new lights on my boat trailer and they were a pain to secure.

RE: Have you tried solder seal? - MiscellaneousDave - 05-25-2020

(05-25-2020, 02:18 PM)PJ Wrote: I guess its probably been close to a year now that I have been using solder seal wire connectors.  I mostly see them on Amazon from a bunch of different brands. (Check to see if a promo code is available for any https://struggleville.net/?s=solder+seal)  They are a little pricey compared to a crimp style butt connector, which is what I would be using if not for the solder seal.  But I have been using the solder seal exclusively since finding out about it and I really like.  Its easy and I trust the connection better.  It does take more time than crimping but I really like these things.

I have gotten these a couple of times through deals on your site (do you see a trend here?  I get a LOT of crap because of you!!! hahaha).  I have used them twice so far, but they were to do ~10-12 connects each time.  I used them for 2 aftermarket stereos that I installed when connecting the stereo harness to the OEM adapter.  It worked GREAT.  I won't go back to the non-solder seal.

Once or twice I feel like I may have applied too much heat and the plastic kind of melted too much, but it seemed ok once it cooled.

RE: Have you tried solder seal? - PJ - 05-25-2020

(05-25-2020, 09:09 PM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 02:18 PM)PJ Wrote: I guess its probably been close to a year now that I have been using solder seal wire connectors.  I mostly see them on Amazon from a bunch of different brands. (Check to see if a promo code is available for any https://struggleville.net/?s=solder+seal)  They are a little pricey compared to a crimp style butt connector, which is what I would be using if not for the solder seal.  But I have been using the solder seal exclusively since finding out about it and I really like.  Its easy and I trust the connection better.  It does take more time than crimping but I really like these things.

I have gotten these a couple of times through deals on your site (do you see a trend here?  I get a LOT of crap because of you!!! hahaha).  I have used them twice so far, but they were to do ~10-12 connects each time.  I used them for 2 aftermarket stereos that I installed when connecting the stereo harness to the OEM adapter.  It worked GREAT.  I won't go back to the non-solder seal.

Once or twice I feel like I may have applied too much heat and the plastic kind of melted too much, but it seemed ok once it cooled.

And by crap I know you mean priceless treasures  Big Grin

I have been worried about them getting too hot a few times.  I guess it is one good thing about my over priced, under powered DeWALT 20V heat gun, I am very unlikely to over heat anything.

RE: Have you tried solder seal? - MiscellaneousDave - 05-25-2020

(05-25-2020, 09:57 PM)PJ Wrote:

I have been worried about them getting too hot a few times.  I guess it is one good thing about my over priced, under powered DeWALT 20V heat gun, I am very unlikely to over heat anything.

hahaha yeah...  Priceless treasures that I don't use a lot but when I need them they are great.  They just take a lot of space when you all it all up (much like your consumables I remember you showing in a video).

I actually use a stick lighter when doing mine.  Works really well.

RE: Have you tried solder seal? - Orion1876 - 06-01-2020

(05-25-2020, 10:00 PM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote:

hahaha yeah...  Priceless treasures that I don't use a lot but when I need them they are great.  They just take a lot of space when you all it all up (much like your consumables I remember you showing in a video).

I have had issues with heating other connectors too much and melting the outer seal.  Not much good without the water tight seal.

It will be interesting to see how I do with these.

RE: Have you tried solder seal? - MiscellaneousDave - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 06:09 PM)Orion1876 Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 10:00 PM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote:

I have had issues with heating other connectors too much and melting the outer seal.  Not much good without the water tight seal.

It will be interesting to see how I do with these
I really love them.  They are great.