Struggleville Forum
"REAL" Scantool - Printable Version

+- Struggleville Forum (https://struggleville.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Shop Talk (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: Enter The Shop (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: "REAL" Scantool (/thread-63.html)

Pages: 1 2

"REAL" Scantool - MiscellaneousDave - 05-25-2020

You know, I watch a lot of Scotty Kilmer's videos, and he talks a lot about how so many vehicles these days require a REAL scantool (bi-directional, $1k+, and many require a subscription) to do so many basic and routine things (even for a good diagnostic).  The problem is that these things are cost prohibitive for the regular "Shade Tree Mechanic" that mainly works on his own things.  I find myself wondering a lot lately if I am going to need to bite the bullet and buy one of these stupid things, or if someone is going to make something that is wayyyyyyyy cheaper that does the same thing, or what. 

He often says how you wouldn't have one of those unless you are a mechanic (because they are so expensive), but I feel like it is getting to the point where we really need these ourselves.

Thoughts?

RE: "REAL" Scantool - PJ - 05-25-2020

I'd be willing to bet the prices will come down, seems like eventually that happens to everything. It wasn't that long ago that even basic scan tools were pretty expensive now you can pick them up for $10-15.

I'm really surprised that manufacturers are still using OBD2, that came out in like... 95 or something. Can you imagine if we were all still using Windows 95? Technology related stuff just doesn't hang on that long typically.

I'm not sure what cars he is talking about that basic scan tools won't function on, my truck is 2018 and the cheapo scanners work on it.

That being said I can't imagine ever forking over $1k for a scanner. I like to do my own work on my cars but no way I would get my money back on that.

RE: "REAL" Scantool - MiscellaneousDave - 05-25-2020

(05-25-2020, 09:06 PM)PJ Wrote: I'd be willing to bet the prices will come down, seems like eventually that happens to everything.  It wasn't that long ago that even basic scan tools were pretty expensive now you can pick them up for $10-15.

I'm really surprised that manufacturers are still using OBD2, that came out in like... 95 or something.  Can you imagine if we were all still using Windows 95?  Technology related stuff just doesn't hang on that long typically.

I'm not sure what cars he is talking about that basic scan tools won't function on, my truck is 2018 and the cheapo scanners work on it.

That being said I can't imagine ever forking over $1k for a scanner.  I like to do my own work on my cars but no way I would get my money back on that.

The basic ones read codes just fine, and can provide some basic diagnostic information.  I use them too.  I have like 3 different ones.  He even advocates for using the inexpensive ones for some things, but when you look at the amount of info that he can get from the better scan tool, it is leaps and bounds better.

Not to mention as cars are getting newer and newer, you have to reprogram the computer for trivial stuff requiring something better than the basic one.  I see this more and more when watching his videos.  I will have to keep my ears open for an example of what I mean to share.

When you talked about running Windows 95, I thought of this article.  I remember when this happened and I was floored...  Note, this article is ONLY 5 YEARS OLD (2015).

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/11/failed-windows-3-1-system-blamed-for-taking-out-paris-airport/

RE: "REAL" Scantool - PJ - 05-25-2020

(05-25-2020, 09:15 PM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 09:06 PM)PJ Wrote: I'd be willing to bet the prices will come down, seems like eventually that happens to everything.  It wasn't that long ago that even basic scan tools were pretty expensive now you can pick them up for $10-15.

I'm really surprised that manufacturers are still using OBD2, that came out in like... 95 or something.  Can you imagine if we were all still using Windows 95?  Technology related stuff just doesn't hang on that long typically.

That being said I can't imagine ever forking over $1k for a scanner.  I like to do my own work on my cars but no way I would get my money back on that.

The basic ones read codes just fine, and can provide some basic diagnostic information.  I use them too.  I have like 3 different ones.  He even advocates for using the inexpensive ones for some things, but when you look at the amount of info that he can get from the better scan tool, it is leaps and bounds better.

Not to mention as cards are getting newer and newer, you have to reprogram the computer for trivial stuff requiring something better than the basic one.  I see this more and more when watching his videos.  I will have to keep my ears open for an example of what I mean to share.

When you talked about running Windows 95, I thought of this article.  I remember when this happened and I was floored...  Note, this article is ONLY 5 YEARS OLD (2015).

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/11/failed-windows-3-1-system-blamed-for-taking-out-paris-airport/

That is crazy!  How are some of these things never upgraded? Growing up I remember using Windows 3.1...I think it was pretty close to the "You've got mail." days.

RE: "REAL" Scantool - MiscellaneousDave - 05-25-2020

(05-25-2020, 10:02 PM)PJ Wrote:

Not to mention as cards are getting newer and newer, you have to reprogram the computer for trivial stuff requiring something better than the basic one.  I see this more and more when watching his videos.  I will have to keep my ears open for an example of what I mean to share.

That is crazy!  How are some of these things never upgraded? Growing up I remember using Windows 3.1...I think it was pretty close to the "You've got mail." days.

Some of the ancient technology that runs businesses to this day is unreal.  Green screens are STILL being used in some places.

RE: "REAL" Scantool - PJ - 05-26-2020

(05-25-2020, 10:04 PM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 10:02 PM)PJ Wrote:

Some of the ancient technology that runs businesses to this day is unreal.  Green screens are STILL being used in some places.

Car stuff, outside of just the OBD2, is like that in a lot of ways too.  So much stuff is what they were using damn near 100 years ago.  Ball joints, tie rod ends... how wipers work.  Seems like they add gizmos and change the body around but a ton of the mechanical stuff never really changes.

RE: "REAL" Scantool - MiscellaneousDave - 05-26-2020

That is true... Although they are starting to change the basics a little with electric cars and such.

RE: "REAL" Scantool - Orion1876 - 06-01-2020

(05-26-2020, 08:28 PM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote: That is true...  Although they are starting to change the basics a little with electric cars and such.

Electric cars seem to be the wave of the future.   All the major car brands seem to be following Tesla's lead.   Seems like it will be a long time before we will see an end to internal combustion engines though.

RE: "REAL" Scantool - MiscellaneousDave - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 05:59 PM)Orion1876 Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 08:28 PM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote: That is true...  Although they are starting to change the basics a little with electric cars and such.

Electric cars seem to be the wave of the future.   All the major car brands seem to be following Tesla's lead.   Seems like it will be a long time before we will see an end to internal combustion engines though.
Yeah batteries just aren't realistic right now.  A new battery for a Toyota Prius is something like 6k.

RE: "REAL" Scantool - delpha80 - 06-01-2020

one thing you can do is use a power probe to force things or substitute loads with lights. The greatest percentage of problems are simple test/ bidirectional misfire, evap was. I think the bigger problems most people wouldn't know how or have the extra special tools above a real scanner.