Struggleville Forum
Any model terrain supply deals - Printable Version

+- Struggleville Forum (https://struggleville.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Everything Else (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Hiding From The Wife (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Any model terrain supply deals (/thread-66.html)

Any model terrain supply deals - Carsise - 05-25-2020

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone did terrain building for DnD, wargaming, diorama, etc. and if you know of any good place to get supplies cheap. I'm just starting into doing this stuff (too add to my woodworking) and looking for any advice on good places to buy either online or in store. I'm in the southeast (GA) if that helps.
Thanks in advanced.

RE: Any model terrain supply deals - PJ - 05-25-2020

Are the supplies specific to DnD or is it just raw materials that you use to make things for DnD? Do you have any links to the types of things you are looking for?

RE: Any model terrain supply deals - Carsise - 05-26-2020

(05-25-2020, 10:07 PM)PJ Wrote: Are the supplies specific to DnD or is it just raw materials that you use to make things for DnD?  Do you have any links to the types of things you are looking for?
Things like this Doors and windows templatesDifferent types of flocking, or Texture rolling pins (just a few for example). It doesn't need to be specific to DnD, even silicone molds would be nice to find at a cheap price. I like crafting as well as woodworking and it's nice to make stuff up sell especially when work gets slow. I've been watching some different YouTube channels that make stuff for tabletop gaming (wargaming, DnD, etc) as well as making Halloween props.

RE: Any model terrain supply deals - PJ - 05-26-2020

(05-26-2020, 01:45 PM)Carsise Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 10:07 PM)PJ Wrote: Are the supplies specific to DnD or is it just raw materials that you use to make things for DnD?  Do you have any links to the types of things you are looking for?
Things like this Doors and windows templatesDifferent types of flocking, or Texture rolling pins (just a few for example). It doesn't need to be specific to DnD, even silicone molds would be nice to find at a cheap price. I like crafting as well as woodworking and it's nice to make stuff up sell especially when work gets slow. I've been watching some different YouTube channels that make stuff for tabletop gaming (wargaming, DnD, etc) as well as making Halloween props.

It looks kind of similar to the stuff people do with model trains.  When they build like a city around the track, I wonder if any stores sell things marketing to those people but would also be useful for you?

May be a really bad idea but for like the floor tiles I see people make can you use expanding foam in a mold?

Amazon has a craft section for promo codes but it only has 3 codes in it right now and they are all for colored markers.

Have you ever tried going to Michaels?  They usually (corona might have this changed for now) have a 40% off single item coupon in their sales flyers.

RE: Any model terrain supply deals - Carsise - 05-26-2020

(05-26-2020, 02:41 PM)PJ Wrote:

It looks kind of similar to the stuff people do with model trains.  When they build like a city around the track, I wonder if any stores sell things marketing to those people but would also be useful for you?

May be a really bad idea but for like the floor tiles I see people make can you use expanding foam in a mold?

Amazon has a craft section for promo codes but it only has 3 codes in it right now and they are all for colored markers.

Have you ever tried going to Michaels?  They usually (corona might have this changed for now) have a 40% off single item coupon in their sales flyers.

I've been to Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Dollar Tree, Joanne's, Dollar General and Family Dollar. Hobby Lobby and Dollar Tree are by far the cheapest. Michael's is too expensive. Joanne's has an app with lots of coupons in it for online only and in store. 
A model train store would have more inventory to look at but there's not one close by.
I use pink insulation foam, foam core (the foam boards from dollar tree), wood and only recently giving my hand at air dry clay (it's sitting in a mold right now drying).
I've been told that flocking is just saw dust with food coloring added, since I do wood working as well, I'll have to test that.
Included pic is just a glimpse of the "art and crafts" area of my new shop. Messy at the moment but will organize it soon.
*edit* I chose a file to add but it's not showing up, I might have done it wrong...

RE: Any model terrain supply deals - PJ - 05-26-2020

(05-26-2020, 09:19 PM)Carsise Wrote:

I've been to Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Dollar Tree, Joanne's, Dollar General and Family Dollar. Hobby Lobby and Dollar Tree are by far the cheapest. Michael's is too expensive. Joanne's has an app with lots of coupons in it for online only and in store. 
A model train store would have more inventory to look at but there's not one close by.
I use pink insulation foam, foam core (the foam boards from dollar tree), wood and only recently giving my hand at air dry clay (it's sitting in a mold right now drying).
I've been told that flocking is just saw dust with food coloring added, since I do wood working as well, I'll have to test that.
Included pic is just a glimpse of the "art and crafts" area of my new shop. Messy at the moment but will organize it soon.
*edit* I chose a file to add but it's not showing up, I might have done it wrong...

After choosing the file did you click the "Add Attachment" button on the right side?  I think the picture size limit is set to 500kb or something so that could potentially cause a problem.

RE: Any model terrain supply deals - MiscellaneousDave - 05-27-2020

(05-26-2020, 11:57 PM)PJ Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 09:19 PM)Carsise Wrote:

After choosing the file did you click the "Add Attachment" button on the right side?  I think the picture size limit is set to 500kb or something so that could potentially cause a problem.

I had an issue too if the file was a PNG.  It wouldn't accept .PNG files.  I had to convert to JPG, then the website accepted it fine.

RE: Any model terrain supply deals - Carsise - 05-27-2020

That's what it is, the size. I didn't realize how large my picture was. I'll change it to a lower resolution and retake it when I get home tonight.