Struggleville Forum
So you want to be a landlord? - Printable Version

+- Struggleville Forum (https://struggleville.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Youtube (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Youtube (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: So you want to be a landlord? (/thread-69.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

So you want to be a landlord? - PJ - 05-25-2020

(05-25-2020, 10:39 PM)Chickenhawk Wrote: My channel is Chickenhawkfarmstead 
I do videos about tool reviews, product reviews, diy projects, and homesteading things like growing food and raising animals.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG3V9m07j8svmVZAaWywqWA

Those videos of your renters were crazy!  I can't believe they left your house like that.  I don't care about the consequences I would of whooped their asses. That was awful.

If anyone wants to check it out I'll put part 1 below.. I think its 4-5 parts total.

RE: So you want to be a landlord? - MiscellaneousDave - 05-26-2020

I am a landlord and I hate it.

I have horror stories but not like this. Dirt bags that basically destroyed the house where I had to refloor and repaint EVERYTHING (floor to ceiling). Animals doing their business inside, what looks like working on cars inside the house, etc. Happened twice. Now I am a bit more picky/stringent on who I let in there. My last 2 renters have been good.

When I was redoing my house after one of the renters left, I ran into one my my old managers at Lowe's (he was a manager there). I was telling him about my experience. He had told me he was a landlord as well, and one of his tenants wasn't returning any of his calls (as rent was overdue). He went to the house and found that they had moved out... He opened the door and almost began vomiting immediately. Long story short, they left a bunch of chicken out everywhere in the house, and obviously there was no AC. So it was rotting in the Florida sun for who knows how long.

Makes me sick to even tell that story.

RE: So you want to be a landlord? - Orion1876 - 05-26-2020

(05-26-2020, 11:02 AM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote: I am a landlord and I hate it.

I have horror stories but not like this.  Dirt bags that basically destroyed the house where I had to refloor and repaint EVERYTHING (floor to ceiling).  Animals doing their business inside, what looks like working on cars inside the house, etc.  Happened twice.  Now I am a bit more picky/stringent on who I let in there.  My last 2 renters have been good.

When I was redoing my house after one of the renters left, I ran into one my my old managers at Lowe's (he was a manager there).  I was telling him about my experience.  He had told me he was a landlord as well, and one of his tenants wasn't returning any of his calls (as rent was overdue).  He went to the house and found that they had moved out...  He opened the door and almost began vomiting immediately.  Long story short, they left a bunch of chicken out everywhere in the house, and obviously there was no AC.  So it was rotting in the Florida sun for who knows how long. 

Makes me sick to even tell that story.

Yikes.  It is very side the depths some people will go.

I have heard many scary stories like this one.  I have an aunt and uncle that have a second mobile home on their property that they have rented out quite a bit.  Last few years they have had a new story each year about a renter doing something nefarious to the house.

There can be a lot of benefits for renting out a property, but there are also way too many ways it can go wrong.

Can't say being a landlord is something I would want to do in the future.

He told me a story of a previous tenant that took off an electrical face plate and put shrimp tails down in the wall. After they moved out he was trying to figure out where the smell was coming from and ended up taking apart a bunch of walls to find it. People are pricks.

RE: So you want to be a landlord? - PJ - 05-26-2020

These stories are too awful lol. I really would like to use rental properties as a little supplemental income but I can't see a scenario where it works out well.

(05-26-2020, 02:35 PM)PJ Wrote: These stories are too awful lol. I really would like to use rental properties as a little supplemental income but I can't see a scenario where it works out well.

I think it can.  But there are a few key things to keep in mind.
  • Have them nearby (where you can drive and pick up the rent while actually checking on your property)
  • GO WITH YOUR GUT.  If you think they are scumbags, don't rent to them.  Don't be desperate to get that rent where you pick anyone.
  • Save some of that money for repairs and such.

RE: So you want to be a landlord? - MaintenanceGuyMD - 05-26-2020

It's a pain with bad tenants.  Sometimes you just have to keep rents high to minimize losses.

RE: So you want to be a landlord? - Chickenhawk - 05-26-2020

(05-26-2020, 02:35 PM)PJ Wrote: These stories are too awful lol. I really would like to use rental properties as a little supplemental income but I can't see a scenario where it works out well.

What I learned was be a asshole. Its business not a  clarity and the more you charge the less dirtbags you'll deal with.     Mine was a learning experience but glad its over. And i did make out  good with the sale of the property and all the tools i got to keep (and wright off) .

RE: So you want to be a landlord? - MaintenanceGuyMD - 05-26-2020

I also try to make sure at least one of the tenants has an excellent credit rating. This way, if they trash the place, a claim can be put on their record which would ruin their credit score for several years.

RE: So you want to be a landlord? - Yukon - 05-26-2020

I rent right now and I try to take care of the places I’ve lived like I was raised to. If you borrow something, return it in as good a shape or better than you when you got it.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t be a landlord....EVER. People suck.