Struggleville Forum
Best tool from Harbor Freight - Printable Version

+- Struggleville Forum (https://struggleville.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Shop Talk (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: Enter The Shop (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Best tool from Harbor Freight (/thread-81.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Best tool from Harbor Freight - Orion1876 - 05-26-2020

Over the years I have purchases my fair share of tools and tool storage devices from Harbor Freight.

Many of which have been very useful and others that just didn't work very well or hold up.

What would you say is your favorite or most useful tool that you purchased from Harbor Freight?

What would you say is your least favorite or worst tool that you have purchased from Harbor Freight?

The most useful tool I have purchased from Harbor Freight would have to be the 6 n 1 multi screwdriver.   I have a few of them and they have worked very well.  Most of them I got for free with purchase.

The worst tool I have purchased from Harbor Freight would have to be the mini Chicago electric rotary tool.   It just never worked that great from day one.

RE: Best tool from Harbor Freight - MiscellaneousDave - 05-26-2020

My "favorite tool" - I am going to say the "one" tool would be ratchets.
Least favorite??? - I don't recall purchasing anything so far that I would be able to classify as such.

RE: Best tool from Harbor Freight - DadBeaulac23 - 05-26-2020

Favorite - 5 drawer tool cart! Not sure if it classifies as a tool...but it's been great!

Least...can't really say...I have broken a couple drill bits/etc, but for the price I paid...I can justify it!

RE: Best tool from Harbor Freight - MiscellaneousDave - 05-26-2020

(05-26-2020, 01:17 PM)DadBeaulac23 Wrote: Favorite - 5 drawer tool cart!  Not sure if it classifies as a tool...but it's been great! 

Least...can't really say...I have broken a couple drill bits/etc, but for the price I paid...I can justify it!

Yeah the 5 drawer is definitely nice.  It is really well built too.

RE: Best tool from Harbor Freight - PJ - 05-26-2020

My favorite tool is the Drill Master heat gun. With coupon you can get it for only $7.99. I used to use that thing every single day and I have had it for years and its still kicking. Honorable mention to the security bit set. Its cheap and worth every one of the few pennies it costs if you NEED one of those bits. And the wood chipper... that thing is pretty good.

My least favorite is probably the jack stands now that I know their is at least a 5% chance they can kill me (They think 5% of the jacks sold have the problem.)

Least favorite it tough because I have bought several things that sucks but I normally throw them out or put them in a garage sale.

The stubby flex head ratchets sucked. The dual headed ratchets I thought would be a neat novelty, they work but have absolutely no purpose. Most of the Pittsburgh stuff I would avoid... not Pittsburgh PRO... when they add the PRO on the end they bump up the quality a bit.

RE: Best tool from Harbor Freight - Orion1876 - 05-26-2020

(05-26-2020, 02:49 PM)PJ Wrote: My favorite tool is the Drill Master heat gun.  With coupon you can get it for only $7.99.  I used to use that thing every single day and I have had it for years and its still kicking.  Honorable mention to the security bit set.  Its cheap and worth every one of the few pennies it costs if you NEED one of those bits.  And the wood chipper... that thing is pretty good.

My least favorite is probably the jack stands now that I know their is at least a 5% chance they can kill me (They think 5% of the jacks sold have the problem.)

Least favorite it tough because I have bought several things that sucks but I normally throw them out or put them in a garage sale.

The stubby flex head ratchets sucked.  The dual headed ratchets I thought would be a neat novelty, they work but have absolutely no purpose.  Most of the Pittsburgh stuff I would avoid... not Pittsburgh PRO... when they add the PRO on the end they bump up the quality a bit.

I can't say I have used the flex head ratchet, but I have had good luck with the Pittsburgh 1/2" extended ratchet.  Seems fairly sturdy and it has been helpful being able to extend the ratchet to get a bit more leverage or shorten for a tighter spot when needed.   I have only used mine a few times, but it has been fine.

I have also noticed there is a big difference between the brands of pliers.   The Pittsburgh pliers have been ok, but the Quinn and Doyle pliers are much smother and seem to be much better quality.   I have not gotten into any of the Icon stuff yet.   Its been quite a while since the last time I ventured into the store.

RE: Best tool from Harbor Freight - Yukon - 05-27-2020

Favorite: Fortress QUIET air compressor and the Braun magnetic LED light. 

Least: Cheapo wheel chocks. I think I’d feel safer with a piece of split ash firewood.

RE: Best tool from Harbor Freight - MiscellaneousDave - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 01:24 AM)Yukon Wrote: Favorite: Fortress QUIET air compressor and the Braun magnetic LED light. 

Least: Cheapo wheel chocks. I think I’d feel safer with a piece of split ash firewood.
Would you feel safer with a HF jack stand instead????  LOL!!!!  

I got my wheel chocks from Northern Tool back in the day and I like them a lot.  I just don't need to use them all that often.

RE: Best tool from Harbor Freight - Andrew - 05-27-2020

Might have to check out that heat gun! I've bought cheap chisels to use as beaters for construction that are a great value for the couple bucks to save me using my nice ones. Harbor freight is good for odds and ends to add to your order, like staples and a cheap Plumb Bob if you don't have one etc. Lots of useful stuff under 5$

RE: Best tool from Harbor Freight - PJ - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 08:25 AM)Andrew Wrote: Might have to check out that heat gun! I've bought cheap chisels to use as beaters for construction that are a great value for the couple bucks to save me using my nice ones. Harbor freight is good for odds and ends to add to your order, like staples and a cheap Plumb Bob if you don't have one etc. Lots of useful stuff under 5$

You're right about some of the cheapie stuff.  The have bought almost every Storehouse replenishable item. The various bolts and pins and cotter keys and all that stuff.  Never know when you might need it.  I was just digging through several cases of the stainless steel screws tonight needing a specific one... of course I couldnt find the one I needed but having all those options gave me hope damn it!