Struggleville Forum
Corded vs cordless skill saw? - Printable Version

+- Struggleville Forum (https://struggleville.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Shop Talk (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-12.html)
+--- Forum: Enter The Shop (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Corded vs cordless skill saw? (/thread-89.html)

Corded vs cordless skill saw? - Andrew - 05-27-2020

I've been working for a builder for just over 2 months and I'm at the point where I need my own skill saw. 

I'm torn between the Milwaukee rear handle saw:
https://homedepot.sjv.io/c/222435/456723/8154?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.homedepot.com%2Fp%2FMilwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-7-1-4-in-Rear-Handle-Circular-Saw-Tool-Only-2830-20%2F309245503

And this corded skill saw:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7EUS46/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=shopstruggleville-20&linkId=3c2e5fcc9b83f7a00f75240928523a2d&language=en_US

Honestly I'll probably end up with both eventually, but which one would at least be the better pick to start with at least?

Also curious to see between corded/cordless for everyone's preference!

RE: Corded vs cordless skill saw? - Yukon - 05-27-2020

I voted cordless just because it’s so darn convenient. 

Having said that, there is an ancient Worm-drive Skil saw at my shop which will probably still be around post-apocalypse. It’s heavier than hell, but it’s a beast.

RE: Corded vs cordless skill saw? - MiscellaneousDave - 05-27-2020

I never thought I would see the day where I would ever say cordless. These companies have really come a long, long, long way with cordless things. There are probably times where corded is better, but I feel like 99% of the time most people can easily get away with cordless doing the job just fine. Worst case scenario, you would just need to have extra batteries with you for the most demanding user (and a charger).

RE: Corded vs cordless skill saw? - Orion1876 - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 05:28 AM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote: I never thought I would see the day where I would ever say cordless.  These companies have really come a long, long, long way with cordless things.  There are probably times where corded is better, but I feel like 99% of the time most people can easily get away with cordless doing the job just fine.  Worst case scenario, you would just need to have extra batteries with you for the most demanding user (and a charger).

Cordless seems to be the way everything is going.  I would lean more towards the cordless option myself because dealing with cords tends to get to be a pain.  I am sure it could be even more so on a job site if several people were trying to run a corded tool.

Even Skilsaw has a cordless version of their rear handle worm drive saw, and it seems to be better great reviews from what I have seen.

Can't go wrong with Milwaukee either.   Home Depot has a pretty good deal doing on the Milwaukee rear handle right now if you decide to go with the Milwaukee.  It comes with a free 8 am battery.  They seem to have about 50 of these available at a time, so keep an eye on it and it should be back in stock soon.   I have seen it in stock a few times this past week.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-7-1-4-in-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Rear-Handle-Circular-Saw-with-Free-HIGH-OUTPUT-8-0-Ah-Battery-2830-20-48-11-1880/312755114?irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-1241153-456723-&clickid=0yo3FPU2AxyJReUwUx0Mo3c3Uki1mIWp1Xi9zc0

RE: Corded vs cordless skill saw? - PJ - 05-27-2020

For me it depends on your situation and what is available to you. I love the convenience of my DeWALT 20V, it really is amazing how much nicer it is not having a cord. You are not tripping over it, don't have to worry about accidentally cutting a cord, doesn't get hung up on the side of the board. All that being side I swear every time I use my DeWALT I am forever changing the batteries. I have been using my Flexvolt batteries with it which definitely lasts longer but even those don't last as long as I would hope.

If you will be cutting a lot, like all day long. I think you are going to need a few high ah batteries to keep from running out of juice in the middle of the day. Combine the price of batteries with that of the cordless... it may not be worth it.

If you already have plenty of batteries and dont mind swapping them pretty often the cordless is definitely more convenient.

Also my DeWALT cordless has plenty of power, haven't had any problems in that department.

RE: Corded vs cordless skill saw? - Orion1876 - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 03:44 PM)PJ Wrote: For me it depends on your situation and what is available to you.  I love the convenience of my DeWALT 20V, it really is amazing how much nicer it is not having a cord.  You are not tripping over it, don't have to worry about accidentally cutting a cord, doesn't get hung up on the side of the board.  All that being side I swear every time I use my DeWALT I am forever changing the batteries.  I have been using my Flexvolt batteries with it which definitely lasts longer but even those don't last as long as I would hope.

If you will be cutting a lot, like all day long.  I think you are going to need a few high ah batteries to keep from running out of juice in the middle of the day.  Combine the price of batteries with that of the cordless... it may not be worth it.

If you already have plenty of batteries and dont mind swapping them pretty often the cordless is definitely more convenient.

Also my DeWALT cordless has plenty of power, haven't had any problems in that department.

Can't go wrong with Milwaukee either.  Especially when it comes to the fuel line.   Its fuel or go home as some like to say.

RE: Corded vs cordless skill saw? - MiscellaneousDave - 06-01-2020

(05-27-2020, 06:07 PM)Orion1876 Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 03:44 PM)PJ Wrote: For me it depends on your situation and what is available to you.  I love the convenience of my DeWALT 20V, it really is amazing how much nicer it is not having a cord.  You are not tripping over it, don't have to worry about accidentally cutting a cord, doesn't get hung up on the side of the board.  All that being side I swear every time I use my DeWALT I am forever changing the batteries.  I have been using my Flexvolt batteries with it which definitely lasts longer but even those don't last as long as I would hope.

If you will be cutting a lot, like all day long.  I think you are going to need a few high ah batteries to keep from running out of juice in the middle of the day.  Combine the price of batteries with that of the cordless... it may not be worth it.

Can't go wrong with Milwaukee either.  Especially when it comes to the fuel line.   Its fuel or go home as some like to say.
Can't go wrong,except for..............  The price.

RE: Corded vs cordless skill saw? - Scott Parat - 06-22-2020

There was a time I would use nothing but a worm drive, blade is on the left and could plow through everything.

I haven't bought one in a while but have seen them, they look have the size and half the weight than when I was using worm drives for cutting framing lumber. If you're gonna be a cut man doing houses or bigger projects I would think you gotta go worm drive.

On the other had when working with my father in law 20 years or so ago he had a 5 1/2 inch skilsaw, blade on the left and powerful little saw. I used to laugh at him though for being a wussy using that little toy. Sooner or latter I tried it and pretended not to like it! Eventually I probably bought 5 or more of those over the years. Not made any longer but it was a pretty solid little saw and you could write it off as job cost. Bottom line is that I liked it because it was light, small and easy to use.

Battery saws were made when I was working but dewalt was still around 14 volts, the saws they made at that time might have worked for the happy home owner or diy'er but not for a carpenter or contractor......so I never used one on the job.

I'm just starting to work around the house again, been sick, and really wanted a left sided blade saw, read some reviews and was surprised that some carpenter/contractors were giving high praise to the dewalt 20 volt 6 /12" saw. PJ sent a Home Depot special for the saw and battery and my son was kind enough to buy me one.

I gotta tell ya, from someone who has built for 45+ years that saw rips. I has surprisingly taken me some time to get a handle on it so it feels natural ...but for me the blade on the left is a big deal and it rips through framing lumber like a beast. I bought the jigsaw too so I have [2] 3 amp batteries, would be nice to have one big one. I suppose the saws and batteries will get better and better over time but if I were running my own company (as I have) I would probably switch over to all cordless.

Good luck with your new saw young man Smile

RE: Corded vs cordless skill saw? - PJ - 06-22-2020

(06-22-2020, 12:44 AM)Scott Parat Wrote: There was a time I would use nothing but a worm drive, blade is on the left and could plow through everything.

I haven't bought one in a while but have seen them, they look have the size and half the weight than when I was using worm drives for cutting framing lumber. If you're gonna be a cut man doing houses or bigger projects I would think you gotta go worm drive.

On the other had when working with my father in law 20 years or so ago he had a 5 1/2 inch skilsaw, blade on the left and powerful little saw. I used to laugh at him though for being a wussy using that little toy. Sooner or latter I tried it and pretended not to like it! Eventually I probably bought 5 or more of those over the years. Not made any longer but it was a pretty solid little saw and you could write it off as job cost. Bottom line is that I liked it because it was light, small and easy to use.

Battery saws were made when I was working but dewalt was still around 14 volts, the saws they made at that time might have worked for the happy home owner or diy'er but not for a carpenter or contractor......so I never used one on the job.

I'm just starting to work around the house again, been sick, and really wanted a left sided blade saw, read some reviews and was surprised that some carpenter/contractors were giving high praise to the dewalt 20 volt 6 /12" saw. PJ sent a Home Depot special for the saw and battery and my son was kind enough to buy me one.

I gotta tell ya, from someone who has built for 45+ years that saw rips. I has surprisingly taken me some time to get a handle on it so it feels natural ...but for me the blade on the left is a big deal and it rips through framing lumber like a beast. I bought the jigsaw too so I have [2] 3 amp batteries, would be nice to have one big one. I suppose the saws and batteries will get better and better over time but if I were running my own company (as I have) I would probably switch over to all cordless.

Good luck with your new saw young man Smile

How far cordless power tools have come over just the last few years is really amazing.

That was nice of your son, now we just need to get you a flexvolt battery for it.  Adds a bit more weight but lasts a lot longer.