Struggleville Forum
Tool sites—the good, the bad, and the ugly - Printable Version

+- Struggleville Forum (https://struggleville.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Everything Else (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Hiding From The Wife (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Tool sites—the good, the bad, and the ugly (/thread-90.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Tool sites—the good, the bad, and the ugly - Yukon - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 01:03 AM)Andrew Wrote: Never heard of tooltopia, also curious about National tool Wearhouse.
Where else do you find deals?

Those are the only two unusual places I’ve shopped lately. I just do a search for the best price on specific products. I try to include the manufacturer stock number when possible. This time it spit those two out. They were $40 less than all other places. 
Both had free shipping for my item.

RE: Tool sites—the good, the bad, and the ugly - PJ - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 05:00 PM)Orion1876 Wrote: My one warning for anyone ordering from CPO is that I have heard several reports of people receiving used batteries and tools when they were expected to be new.

Supposedly they are making an effort to clean up their act, but it is something to keep in mind.

CPO used to be mostly.. maybe exclusively.... refurbished tools.  They have tons of new tools now but I wonder how much were being buying refurbished not knowing thats why the price was cheaper and how much was CPO sending a used item when they were supposed to be sending a new one.  My guess would be a good deal of both.

RE: Tool sites—the good, the bad, and the ugly - Orion1876 - 05-28-2020

(05-27-2020, 11:03 PM)PJ Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 05:00 PM)Orion1876 Wrote: My one warning for anyone ordering from CPO is that I have heard several reports of people receiving used batteries and tools when they were expected to be new.

Supposedly they are making an effort to clean up their act, but it is something to keep in mind.

CPO used to be mostly.. maybe exclusively.... refurbished tools.  They have tons of new tools now but I wonder how much were being buying refurbished not knowing thats why the price was cheaper and how much was CPO sending a used item when they were supposed to be sending a new one.  My guess would be a good deal of both.

I didn't know that about CPO.  It makes a lot of sense because at times their prices are quite a bit better than other places.  They are required to properly label listings as being refurbished if they are.  

I probably buy from Home Depot more than anywhere else.  They tend to have some pretty amazing deals on the clearance shelf if you are willing to check it on regular occasions.

RE: Tool sites—the good, the bad, and the ugly - PJ - 05-29-2020

(05-28-2020, 07:41 AM)Orion1876 Wrote:

I didn't know that about CPO.  It makes a lot of sense because at times their prices are quite a bit better than other places.  They are required to properly label listings as being refurbished if they are.  

I probably buy from Home Depot more than anywhere else.  They tend to have some pretty amazing deals on the clearance shelf if you are willing to check it on regular occasions.

This is their refurbished section

It can actually be a pretty good deal for someone who isn't beating the hell out of their tools day in and day out.

RE: Tool sites—the good, the bad, and the ugly - Orion1876 - 05-29-2020

(05-29-2020, 12:04 AM)PJ Wrote:

It can actually be a pretty good deal for someone who isn't beating the hell out of their tools day in and day out.

I am sure that is true.   I just tend to be stay away from buying used tools.    What kind of warranty do you get with a refurbished tool?

RE: Tool sites—the good, the bad, and the ugly - PJ - 05-29-2020

(05-29-2020, 07:25 AM)Orion1876 Wrote:
(05-29-2020, 12:04 AM)PJ Wrote:

I am sure that is true.   I just tend to be stay away from buying used tools.    What kind of warranty do you get with a refurbished tool?

120 days.  I just looked it up, expected it to be more like 60-90 since they are used.

RE: Tool sites—the good, the bad, and the ugly - MiscellaneousDave - 06-01-2020

The "Factory Blemished" Ridgid tools from Direct Tools Factory Outlet come with a Lifetime warranty if registered. Smile

RE: Tool sites—the good, the bad, and the ugly - Orion1876 - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 01:16 PM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote: The "Factory Blemished" Ridgid tools from Direct Tools Factory Outlet come with a Lifetime warranty if registered.  Smile

Awesome.  I was wondering what the factory warranty would be.  I assume the Ryobi tools have their normal warranty as well if they are blemished.

RE: Tool sites—the good, the bad, and the ugly - MiscellaneousDave - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 01:25 PM)Orion1876 Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 01:16 PM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote: The "Factory Blemished" Ridgid tools from Direct Tools Factory Outlet come with a Lifetime warranty if registered.  Smile

Awesome.  I was wondering what the factory warranty would be.  I assume the Ryobi tools have their normal warranty as well if they are blemished.

I think it depends on the manufacturer and their agreements.

RE: Tool sites—the good, the bad, and the ugly - PJ - 06-01-2020

I have heard a lot of complaints about the Ridgid LSA but I don't have any Ridgid tools so I have never had any experience with it.

I am not sure if people just aren't registering the tools or what the deal is but whenever I would mention the LSA in a video I would get bombarded with complaints about it.