Struggleville Forum
What do you do? What are you good at? - Printable Version

+- Struggleville Forum (https://struggleville.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Everything Else (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Hiding From The Wife (https://struggleville.net/forum/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: What do you do? What are you good at? (/thread-70.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

What do you do? What are you good at? - PJ - 05-26-2020

Orion1876 brought up his hope of this forum being informative and being helpful for the people here (paraphrasing).  So to kick that can a bit further down the road I was wondering what do you guys do for a living, what are your hobbies, what are you good at?  No.... I'm not looking to date you, I'm looking to take advantage of you!  Big Grin

If person X says they are a plumber and person Y says they can't figure out why their toilet is overflowing maybe someone could kindly inform person Y of the unique talents of person X.  (The interesting part is depending on your personality type.. for lack of a better description.. some person X would really be annoyed by this... that person X probably shouldn't reply to this lol)

For me, my core competency probably revolves around finding discrepancies between marketplaces.  Or you might say finding good deals.  I have been doing it in different forms since I was a teenager selling on eBay.  Buy it cheap here and sell it for more on eBay, that kind of thing.  Then I added selling on Amazon to list.  With selling on both of those platforms I had to learn how to ship things.  And I don't mean just throwing something in a box but how to do it my way... which is to say the cheap bastard way.  From that spawned the Youtube channel and the website.

In other words, if you need a deal on something I can try to find it.  A specific model is very difficult but if its... "hey I need a new pressure washer" then I got you. If you have a question about selling on eBay or Amazon, shipping, making Youtube videos, building a website, using Wordpress or MyBB (the software this forum uses) then their is at least a reasonable chance I can help you.

RE: What do you do? What are you good at? - Orion1876 - 05-26-2020

Currently I work in software. More specifically I oversee a department that distributes a variety of software and pricing updates for all the car brands (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc). I am also tasked with making sure we are following all Software Compliance guidelines set forth by all of the third software my company uses on hardware that is sold to customers.

I discovered Struggleville because searching for deals has always been a hobby of mine.

RE: What do you do? What are you good at? - MiscellaneousDave - 05-26-2020

Sooooooo, I am an IT Manager for a heavy equipment dealership in the Southeast. My hobbies are a huge gamer and actually do IT in my spare time "for fun". lol.

I buy tools and stuff simply to fix things around the house, the cars, etc., etc., etc.

Not your average tool consumer demographic. lol!

RE: What do you do? What are you good at? - PJ - 05-26-2020

(05-26-2020, 09:11 AM)Orion1876 Wrote: Currently I work in software. More specifically I oversee a department that distributes a variety of software and pricing updates for all the car brands (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc). I am also tasked with making sure we are following all Software Compliance guidelines set forth by all of the third software my company uses on hardware that is sold to customers.

I discovered Struggleville because searching for deals has always been a hobby of mine.

(05-26-2020, 10:06 AM)MiscellaneousDave Wrote: Sooooooo, I am an IT Manager for a heavy equipment dealership in the Southeast. My hobbies are a huge gamer and actually do IT in my spare time "for fun". lol.

I buy tools and stuff simply to fix things around the house, the cars, etc., etc., etc.

Not your average tool consumer demographic. lol!

Wow, we got a IT guy and a software guy. Hell we might be able to start our own company soon! If an accountant replies I am gonna start filling out paperwork.

RE: What do you do? What are you good at? - MiscellaneousDave - 05-26-2020

Hahahaha. The great thing is that I really do love what I do which is always nice. I just wish I had more time in the day to do it.

RE: What do you do? What are you good at? - MaintenanceGuyMD - 05-26-2020

I repair manufacturing tools (wafer processing) and the equipment used in support of these tools (pumps, portable heat exchangers, etc). Pretty much learning along the way as things break down. I also do a little bit of property maintenance on the side.

RE: What do you do? What are you good at? - Yukon - 05-27-2020

I currently refer to myself as an adult daycare worker. I run crews for a maintenance shop where the drama is real.

RE: What do you do? What are you good at? - PJ - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 12:47 AM)Yukon Wrote: I currently refer to myself as an adult daycare worker. I run crews for a maintenance shop where the drama is real.

Sounds like you need to be getting hazard pay ?

RE: What do you do? What are you good at? - MiscellaneousDave - 05-27-2020

(05-27-2020, 03:32 AM)PJ Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 12:47 AM)Yukon Wrote: I currently refer to myself as an adult daycare worker. I run crews for a maintenance shop where the drama is real.

Sounds like you need to be getting hazard pay ?

I could totally see that being the case.  I have heard stories from different shop foremen about the "drama".  lol.  Good description of your role.  Smile

RE: What do you do? What are you good at? - Andrew - 05-27-2020

I've been working in custom low voltage wiring for a few years now, multi-room audio, mounting TVs, home automation, cameras etc.

I've recently moved from Toronto Canada to Orcas Island in WA, USA about a month before the pandemic started.

For the last couple months I've started working for a contractor/builder doing some cool projects. I was his only employee until about two weeks ago when he hired two new guys, told me I'll be getting a work vehicle and he's making me a lead hand.

I've been addicted to your site and r/toolsales since! Spent most of my last few paycheques on tool deals! Hopefully you guys can help me fill my tool truck! (Crappy Astro Van I get to fix up and build out)